- The name Guatemala means "land of the trees."
- Spanish is the main language, but there are also many Mayan languages that greatly vary. In fact, they are so different that two people speaking Mayan languages in the area might not be able to communicate effectively, even though they are technically speaking the same language.
- One of the scenes in Star Wars: A New Hope was shot in Guatemala in the Tikal National Park. A picture of the area can be seen below:
- The Quetzal currency is named after the National Bird, the Resplendent Quetzal, which is a unique and rare bird. It is so rare that in the time of the Mayan Empire its tail feathers were actually used as a form of currency.
- Guatemala is said to have the second highest ranked ozone layer concentration in the world.
- Guatemala has 252 known wetlands, including 61 lagoons, 100 rivers, 5 lakes, and 3 swamps.
- Guatemala is the number one poorest country in Latin America.
- Bananas, coffee, and sugar are the main exports of Guatemala.
- Tajumulco Volcàn is the highest point in the country of Guatemala at 13,845 ft.