- The capital city is Guatemala City, or La Ciudad de Guatemala.
- At 108,900 square km it is approximately the size of Tennessee.
- About 2/3 of the country has mountains and volcanoes.
- The currency is the quetzal, and it is divided into 100 centavos.
- The population is 14.7 million.
- Crime is very high with things like organized crime and violent street gangs, it is also a major passage way for criminals smuggling drugs from South America to the United States.
- Over half the population is Mayan, and the Mayan language is spoken along side with Spanish, the official language.
- Social inequality is a very large feature of Guatemala, and poverty is common for those in rural countryside areas.